PLANNING FOR A CAREER IN B.ARCH? HERE IS EVERYTHING YOU MUST KNOW.
What does B.Arch programme include?
Bachelor of Architecture also known as B.Arch, is a commonly pursued undergraduate bachelor’s degree programme which involves planning, designing, and constructing physical structures. B.Arch is basically a technical course study which mainly focuses on the development of the skills which are essential for making a successful career as an Architect. Students learn the process of construction of various structures used for commercial and social purposes by utilizing their innovative ideas and analytical skills they have learned and adapted with the help of theoretical and practical designing processes and techniques. Career in Architecture has turned out to be lucrative with the growing number of commercial and residential constructions in the past few years and it holds a lot of potential in coming years as well.
The architectural degree is designed in such a way so that it fulfills the educational component of professional certifying bodies.This field covers different works such as spatial design, safety management, aesthetics, material management, etc.
Duration & Course details:
- Bachelor of Architecture or B.Arch is an undergraduate degree program that lasts for 5 years.
- This undergraduate level academic program is a careful combination of classroom lectures, designing sessions and practice- based training programs that are designed to improve your skills and turn you into consummate professionals.
- B.Arch course is divided into 10 semesters over its 5 year long duration.
- During the first five semesters of B.Arch, scholars get to gain the practical knowledge of architecture and learn about it in depth. After 6th semester, there is a practical training period that usually lasts for 6 months, during which students focus on practice-based experience.
- After the completion of this practice-based learning phase, students start to work on a thesis.
- Architecture Design
- Building construction
- Theory of Structures
- Building Management
- History of architecture
- Architectural Drawing
- Computer & Software Lab
- Workshop Practice
- Architectural appreciation
- Design Applications
- Thesis Project
What are the skills required for pursuing Bachelor of Architecture course?
The functions of an Architect differs from one project to another or assignment but the skills that are mainly required in every project are designing and CAD skills, analytical skills and strong mathematical ability. Apart from having keen interest in buildings, materials and its usage, you will require practical skills than theoretical knowledge in order to be a good Architect. An architect has to carry out a project according to a client’s imaginations and imaginations, which makes him possess a combination of artistic, professional and entrepreneurship qualities .
B.Arch Eligibility and admission process
To get enrolled in a full-time B.Arch programme, here is the B.Arch eligibility criteria that every aspirant must fulfill:
- Aspirants must have qualified their 10+2 examination or equivalent with Mathematics as one of the subjects, as it has become mandatory in the past years
- One must have secured a minimum of 50 percent marks (45 percent marks for reserved category) in 10+2 or
- Should have done 10+3 Diploma (from any stream) and recognized by Central/State governments with 50 percent aggregate marks or
- Should have completed their International Baccalaureate Diploma, after high school with not less than 50 percent marks in aggregate and with Mathematics as compulsory subject of examination.
Scope of B.Arch in India
B.arch scope is quite broad and holds a lot of opportunities as compared to various other fields of education, as after the completion of your B.Arch degree, you can either go for higher studies or apply for jobs as there are plenty of jobs available for freshers as well. Both of these choices lead to the development of specialised skill sets that help in enhancing your career prospects. An architect can apply for several positions in organizations like architectural engineer, historian, building researcher, draftsman, interior designer, section engineer, technologist, art director, contractor, inspector, planner, etc.
If you pick the first option of going for higher studies after B.Arch, i.e. M.Arch, then there are multiple colleges and universities to choose from. The most popular ones are School of Planning and Architecture (SAP), Delhi, IIT Roorkee, Jadavpur University, Sir JJ College of Architecture, CEPT University. However, B.Arch students have to appear in GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering) and CEED in order to pursue a masters program. Besides Master of Architecture, one can also pursue a Master of Urban Design, Master of Design (Industrial Design), Master of Planning (Environmental Planning / Housing / Regional Planning / Transport Planning / Urban Planning), Master of Landscape Architecture, Master of Building Engineering and Management.
When someone is looking forward to make a career in Architecture, then the first question that surfaces in their mind is, ‘Is B.Arch a good career option?’. Well, the answer is, Yes and here’s why?
Due to boom in the construction and design fields, Architects are demanded in different organizations of government and in the private sector as well. They can work in construction business, urban planning, urban development corporations, public works departments, interior designing, etc. Architects are offered a lot of job opportunities in architect firms, universities, consultancy companies, etc. and when in comes to international market, the USA, Australia and Dubai provide a flourishing career for architecture graduates. Architects can work indoors as designer and outdoors as well on the construction sites. In fact, some architects work independently instead of going for as job and cater consultancy services depending upon their skills, knowledge and experience of the industry. If you’re planning to prepare for government jobs after B.Arch, then you must know that Government Organizations also offer various jobs to architects in departments of Archaeology, National Building Organization, Ministry of Defense, Departments of Railways, Housing and Urban Development Corporation, Public Works Department, etc. However after completing graduation, you can go for the higher studies and go for Master’s degree in architecture.
Some of the job posts that you can apply for after completing your B.Arch degree are given below:
- Manager – Architecture and Interiors
- Data Analyst – Architecture
- Architecture Draftsman
- Manager – Architecture
- Front Office/Receptionist/Admin. Assistant
- Architecture Draftsman
- Projects Assistant Manager – Architecture
- Technical Assistant – Architecture
- Architectural Assistant
- Staff Consultant
- Sales/Business Development Manager
- Interior Designer – Retail
Top recruiters you can apply for after graduating from B.Arch:
- Jones Lang LaSalle Meghraj
- Manchanda Associates
- Architect Consultants
- VSA Space Design (P) Ltd.
- Edifice Architects Pvt.Ltd.
- Chitra Vishwanath Architects
- Sahara Group
As an architect, your initial B.Arch salary will be around Rs. 4 Lac to Rs. 5 Lacs per annum. Your salary might vary on the basis of your work experience in the industry, your job profile, company location, etc. For instance, candidates having a work experience of 5 years and above can get a yearly package of Rs. 8 Lac to Rs. 10 Lacs, in the USA, an Architect can get paid around $ 95000 per annum. You must know that B.Arch salary is comparatively high in the private sector as compared to the government sector.
Here is the list of top colleges in Lucknow that offer B.Arch curriculum:
- R.R.Group of Institutions
- Integral University
- Shri Ramswaroop Memorial University
- Amity University
A Career in Architecture can be very fruitful as it holds a lot of possibilities of development and growth in the future but the way to a successful career isn’t as easy going as it sounds unless you have proper guidance and knowledge about a particular field. We intend to give you every possible information about B.Arch through this blog and help you in making a well-informed desicion regarding your career. We will be glad to provide consultancy for admission in bachelor of technology.