Esophageal Cancer and its treatment
What is Esophageal cancer?
Esophageal Cancer happens in the cells that form the wall of oesophagus. It commences in the inner layers of the walls of the oesophagus and grows out of control. It is a serious health condition which begins in the walls of oesophagus and then spreads to the lymph nodes. Here, it affects the small, bean-shaped organs whose primary function is to ward off infection. It can also spread to lungs, liver, stomach, and other parts of the body, if left untreated.
What are the Types of Esophageal cancer?
There are two types of Esophageal cancer:
Adenocarcinoma: Chronic acid reflux may up the ante and pose greater danger of developing adenocarcinoma cancer. When you suffer from the conditions of acid reflux, the acid from your stomach may reach up the esophagus and damage the Esophageal tissue. Unlike our stomach, oesophagus does not have a lining that protects it from the acid. This in turn increases the risk of developing adenocarcinoma cancer.
Squamous cell carcinoma: This type of cancer occurs in the upper and middle portions of the oesophagus. This cancer commences in the squamous cells which line the oesophagus.
Following are the Esophagus Cancer Symptoms And Signs:
· Difficulty or troubled swallowing
· hoarseness in voice
· Weight loss
· burning sensation in and around chest
· Chest pain
· grave indigestion or heartburn
There are multiple factors that which increase your risk of having Esophageal cancer. These factors are:
· Suffering from gastric Esophageal reflux disease (GERD)
· having bile reflux
· drinking alcohol
· unhealthy diet such as meals lacking vegetables and fruits
· eating fried foods and high-fat foods
· Having trouble in swallowing
· precancerous changes in the cells of the oesophagus
How can GERD be cured?
1. Abstain from smoking: Smoking is the most serious cause of concern if you suffer with frequent bouts of acid reflux. Quitting smoking is the first thing you should do if you want to avoid the danger of esophagal cancer. Different health and counselling centres are ready to help smokers quit this deadly addiction. There are differing medications also available in the market if you want to get rid of smoking.
2. Eat more fruits and vegetables: Add more fruits and vegetables to your diet. But stop eating citrus fruits and packaged juices.
3. Maintain a healthy weight: If you are overweighed, then you run are at a higher risk of suffering from digestive diseases as compared to people who not obese. Follow as strict diet and exercise routine for few months and head for a steady weight loss regime.
4. Quit Drinking: Consumption of alcohol is a major cause of welling up the esophagus with the acid of stomach. Alcohol relaxes the sphincter muscle which separates the stomach from oesophagus and keeps the tummy tightly closed. The acid from the stomach leaks and goes up the oesophagus, when the sphincter muscle relaxes.
5. Include alkaline food in your diet: Alkaline foods are the best way to neutralise the effect of the intake of acidic foods.Original source : http://refluxmd.blogspot.com/2018/07/esophageal-cancer-and-its-treatment.html