Difficult Words and Terms in Legal Transcription
No doubt, one of the things that make legal language hardest to understand is its unusual words and terms. Some legal terms, such as judge, court, interrogation, etc. are relatively well-known, whereas others are a complete mystery to people who are not involved in the legal field. Some legal writings tend to consist of very long sentences, sometimes hundreds of words in length. Here are some difficult legal words and terms. Without knowing these, transcribing legal documents can seem almost impossible.
- Arbitration - A method of alternative dispute resolution in which the disputing parties agrees to abide by the decision of an arbitrator.
- Assignment - The transfer of legal rights, from one person to another.
- Bankruptcy - This is a process governed by the federal law to help people, when they cannot or will not pay their bills.
- Bifurcation - Splitting a trial into two parts: a liability phase and a penalty phase.
- Certiorari - It refers to the order of a court so that it can review the decision and proceedings in the lower court.
- Deed - A written legal document that describes a piece of property and outlines its boundaries.
- Defamation - The publication of the statement that injures a person’s reputation.
- Deposition - It is a process in which a witness testifies under oath, before trial.
- Escrow - The deed of a property will be in escrow( in pending), until the completion of the real estate transaction.
- Foreclosure - When a borrower cannot repay a loan and the lender seeks to sell the property.
- Immunity - Exemption from a legal duty or penalty.
- Implied warranty - A guarantee imposed by law in a sale.
- Interstate - To die without a will.
- Plaintiff - The person who initiates a lawsuit.
- Prose - A person who represents himself in court alone without the help of the lawyer.
- Quash - To nullify or declare invalid.
Transcribing a legal document is one of the toughest transcription profile in this industry. For these types of transcription, business owners mainly hire professional transcription service providers for the accuracy of the transcription. These are not listed in general transcription, as in these transcriptions we need to understand different legal terms and its importance.